Tuesday, April 9, 2013

How to remove the front bumper cover from a PT Cruiser.

Here are some step by step instructions on how to remove the front bumper cover from a PT Cruiser - with photos.

 
I recently had to replace the front bumper cover on my 2006 PT Cruiser due to some damage I sustained when I hit something laying in the road. I didn't find many photos online that explained how to do it,  but I figured I had enough mechanical experience that it shouldn't be that difficult. I had purchased a replacement bumper cover and just needed to swap them out. It was much easier than I expected. I decided to take some photos and put together a how-to guide. I hope this helps other PT Cruiser owners looking to do this themselves.
 
First, jack up the car and remove the front wheels. It will make it much easier to access the fasteners.
 
 
Remove the screws that fasten the plastic wheel well to the bumper. You'll need a 7mm socket.  I've pointed to them here. Don't lose the metal clips - you'll need them to reinstall the screws.  Do the same to both sides of the car.
 

 
Peel the lower portion back so you can get to the bumper cover fasteners. You can just hook it over the wheel rotor to hold it out of your way.
 
 
Next, remove the 2 bolts at the corner of the bumper cover. They are size 10mm and are just inside the upper part of the wheel well near the headlight. I've circled them here.  Do the same thing on the other side of the car.
 
 
Here is a close-up of the 2 bolts:
 
 
And here is how I removed them:
 
 
 
Now open the hood. There are four 7mm screws that hold the grille on, two on each side on top of the radiator. I've pointed to them here. Remove these 4 screws and the grill will pull right off..
 
 
 
Remove your front license plate if you have one, then remove these two screws:
 
 
Don't lose the clip on the back side of the screws:
 
 
Now climb underneath the front bumper and remove the 3 bolts that hold the bottom on. Check to see if any plastic guards are clipped to the bumper cover underneath, and that should do it.
 
 
The bumper cover should now pull off quite easily.



Installing a new bumper cover is done in reverse order. There are two guides on each side near the headlight, make sure you slide the new cover over them into the grooves:


 
And that is how the front bumper cover is attached to a PT Cruiser!

3 comments:

  1. Best instructions ever, took me 45 minutes to get the bumper off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! (years later) I'm headed to a pick-a-part yard today and this will save me so much time.

    ReplyDelete